Good tree care starts with a healthy tree. Follow these tips and learn how to buy a tree.
What to Look for on Your New TreeInspecting your tree upon delivery or at the nursery will help your tree provide a lifetime of benefits.
- Bare root tree: Abundant root growth, fiberous and numerous small roots, good color; moist
- Balled and burlapped tree (B&B): Firm soil ball, with trunk securely tied. Do not accept a plant with a broken “ball”. Do not accept a tree with circling roots at the base of the trunk. Always carry B&B plants by the soil ball, not the trunk, stems or branches.
- Container-grown tree (containerized and potted): Avoid trees that are “root-bound” in the can. Roots can circle around the edge of the container may become circling roots. (Cut any circling roots when planting.) Because of this, B&B trees are generally preferred for large trees. Always remove can, basket or pot when planting.
Bare Root Seedlings
Balled & Burlapped
Some Extra Things to Consider When Purchasing Mature TreesWhen choosing trees for city plantings along streets and in parks, you will want to trees with fairly substantial caliper (trunk diameter).
- Strong, well-developed leader (or leaders in a multi-leader tree).
- Bright, healthy bark.
- Trunk & limbs free of insect or mechanical injury.
- Branches well-distributed around trunk, considerably smaller caliper than trunk.
- Ideal spacing between branches, at least 8–12" for most species.
- Good trunk taper.
- Wide-angle crotches for strength.
- Low branches—they are temporary, but help develop taper, promote trunk caliper growth, and prevent sun damage.
Green Man Tree & Landscape Services Serving Milwaukee and Surrounding areas 414-301-9807 http://thegreenmancompany.com Tree Services, Tree Removal, Mulch, Landscaping services in the Milwaukee area. All trees & wood by-products removed from your property will be reused to make fine furniture, firewood or re-purposed into high quality compost and soil for gardeners.